41 Romance Writing Prompts
isnt as easy as many people seem to think.
You write romances? I could totally do that, too, but I haveSOmuch on my plate. Plus, I think if Im gonna write a book, I want it to be more of a challenge.
Said by someone who hasneverfinished writing a romance (or not one worth reading).
Because one thing good romance writing isnotis easy.
Its a real challenge to write an engaging story with twocharacters whose personalities and chemistry keep the reader hookedall the way to a satisfying end.
Theres magic in that. And its not to be underestimated.
The best love story books grab you right from the beginning and hold your attention until the resolution which makes you instantly want to read another romance by the same author.
Do you want to try your hand at romance writing but dont know how to start? Maybe youre having trouble coming up with anideafor your book.
If youre racking your brain for the perfect story idea, why not try one (or more) of theromancewriting promptsin this article?
If nothing else, one of them could plant the seed of an idea for your next bestseller.
While many of the following prompts at least imply a female protagonist, feel free to change the gender to suit your own story.
If youre looking for a romance plot generator to help you create a story that will make you an instant reader favorite, here are a few on the web that can help:
Wattpads own romance plot generator
Seventh Sanctums romance plot generator
Plot-generator.or (UK)(requires more input to generate ideas)
Most of these use basic templates with fields that are randomly filled from a pool of available options. You could create your own template, too, and brainstorm ideas to fill in the blanks. Heres an example:
Hes a ____ who _____. Shes a ____ with _____. Theyre thrown together by ____, and if they dont ______, something terrible will happen (probably involving death, ruin, or unimaginable pain). The clock is ticking, and as they fall for each other, the stakes get even higher.
You can even ask others to suggest occupations, dire situations, drastic measures, personal hang-ups, traumatic experiences, etc. to help turn your template into a list ofstory ideas.
If youre looking for something that already paints the beginning of a picture, though, these writing prompts are worth a look.
Maybe you already know how to write a romance novel your readers love so much they email you begging for the next one.
But no matter how manynovelsyouve written and how many glowing reader reviews youve earned, it cant hurt to get someinspirationfrom afresh batch of writing prompts.
1. As a bridesmaid, you meet one of the groomsmen at your sisters pre-wedding dinner and hit it off so well, he asks you out. Your sister warns you not to get too close. You decide to follow her advice, but keeping him at arms length proves more difficult than you expect.
2. You start a new job at a large firm, and out of the blue, you start receiving flowers every week with a note enclosed. The admirers only signature is a three-digit number, but you dont know what the number could refer to.
3. Your best friend tells you about a wealthy family living in the area and when she shows you a journalistic piece she wrote on them for the local newspaper, you recognize one of the young men as the tall, reserved, green-eyed guy at the library. Your friend knows why.
4. Youve just broken up with you swear yourlastboyfriend and kicked him out of your home. Now, youve decided to redecorate the place making it just the wayyouwant it. The guy at the paint counter doesnt seem like your type, but theres something about him.
5. Youve left your husbands church, and now hes using a variety of not-so-subtle tactics to coax you back in. You see what he really wants: not a better marriage so much as a good Catholic wife. But when your husband presents you with tickets for a couples vacation in an Irish castle, you agree to go despite your suspicions.
6. You start having intenseeroticdreams and the face you see is one you dont recognize but that feels familiar. In any case, the love relationship you have in your dreams is better than what you have in the real world, and you take an interest in lucid dreaming.
7. You inherit a movie theater or half of one, anyway. You share ownership with the nephew of your deceased relatives best friend. Your first business meeting is not auspicious, but something about this guy makes you want to give him a chance.
8. At an annual town carnival, you buy a raffle ticket, thinking its for the newest quilt created by a quirky, lovable group of ladies youve known since childhood. But what you ended up winning is a date with the mayors son, a conspiracy theorist who lives on a boat.
9. Youre investigating strange phenomena in the wake of a devastating tornado when you meet an eccentric journalist who clearly knows something you dont. Your curiosity compels you to accept his invitation to review his personal collection of observations.
10. The last year has been rough, and youre finally interested in maybe meeting someone new, but you feel unattractive. So when a friend shows up after a miracle makeover from someone new in town, you insist she takes you to him.
11. Your job as a cop has made it difficult to maintain a romantic relationship, and a two-year relationship has just ended on a sour note. So, when a civilian informant, who has no love for your ex, starts being a lot more helpful, youre not sure what to think.
They may be short, but what they lack in length, they make up for with intensity and a rollicking pace.
Enjoy these promptswhen youre itching to write some short stories about love.
12. Your morning alarm interrupts an intensely erotic dream involving someone you just met. He just joined your team at work, and youre drawn to his warmth, intelligence, and unsettling dark eyes. But a friend and coworker believe the man is her soulmate.
13. You take a job as a social worker who visits shut-ins and develop an attachment to a man a little older than you who is agoraphobic. You get along like old friends, but you wonder if hed give you the time of day if you hadnt met the way you did.
14. You came back from a near-death experience, and everyone has questions, but no one wants to hear anything that contradicts what theyve been told. You close yourself off to all but a few the members of a small support group of NDEs. And one of them believes hes your soulmate.
15. You go to sleep wanting to visit an old flame you havent talked to in years, and you dream that youre in his bedroom, watching him sleep. The next day, he calls you, fearing you were dead. You agree to meet with him and debate whether to tell him more.
16. A former connection comes to your door on a full moon, and you almost refuse to let him in. He persuades you to open the door so you can talk about a concern of his, and before you know it, youre both getting a lot closer than youd planned. And you know why.
17. You have a fair tolerance for alcohol and keep a bottle of Jameson in your home office, but when a new client comes to your door with a bottle of Black Barrel, you let him in and talk for a bit over a few drinks. You wake up wearing a wedding dress.
18. You move into a coveted apartment, and your first visitor is a stunningly gorgeous man looking for the previous resident. Hes about to leave when he notices the book youre holding. Hes the author.
19. You stop at your favorite used bookstore and buy one of their grab-bags to help with a fundraiser. When you open it, you find a peculiar hardcover book with a handwritten message inside. That night, you find a note at your door with the same handwriting.
20. Youre looking through old photo albums when you see a face youd all but forgotten the face of an old high school crush whod flirted with you but had never asked you out. The same guy shows up the next day at your highly acclaimed matchmaking agency.
21. You take a job singing telegrams and end up singing a Dear John letter to the guy who jilted you in college. He listens to the whole thing, asks you to wait while he writes a calmly-worded response, and tips you a set of keys to the car out front.
Maybe you write cute love stories with college-age characters. Or maybe cute isnt really what youre going for.
Whatever your tastes, the following prompts will work for you and get you writing another bestseller before you know it.
22. Youve paired up for a class interview project in one of yourwriting classes, and your partner is someone you might not otherwise have noticed. In a dream, he comes to your door and invites you to a movie. Suddenly, youre in a car together, and theres a ring on your finger.
23. Your roommate invites her boyfriend into the room and introduces you as a hermit who lives on coffee and sandwiches. You take one look at each other and time literally stops for a moment. Memories of a lifetime together pass in that brief space.
24. To satisfy a math requirement, you take a class in Statistics and youre immediately drawn to a classmate who explains the material better than the prof does. When you see him greet his boyfriend, youre torn between relief and disappointment.
25. Your new roommate seems intensely interested in your life and wants to know everything about you. Youre flattered and a little freaked out, but its nice to have someone to talk to. When her handsome brother comes to visit, she seems uncomfortable.
26. For years, you thought you were born without the capacity for sexual attraction, but when you meet someone in the college dining hall, you feel an intense urge to grab hold of him and kiss him. He gives you a brief, guarded smile and walks past you.
27. A class project has you pairing up and writing dailywords of affirmationto your partner, but since you showed up late to class, you end up paired with someone youve always seen as an egotistical asshat.
28. You accept a job taking notes for college students, and your main client is a guy with dyslexia, ADD, and gender dysphoria. You become friends and support him, even when it means crossing swords with his older brother, whos trying to walk a fine line.
29. Your best friend wants you to help her write a love story about her boyfriend that the college literary journal will publish in time for Valentines Day. But the story is published under your name, and your ex seems to think the story is about him.
30. You agree to go on one double date with the reclusive best friend of your roommates fianc, and youre surprised to learn hes a published playwright. You hit it off and agree to watch one of his plays with him as a second date. The performance does not go well.
31. You agree to tutor someone whos struggling in his writing class, and he ends up tutoring you in something youve avoided as much as possible: driving. Hes a natural behind the wheel and under the hood and you have a gift for writing.
Whether youre writing sexyshort stories with shifters and other mythical beingsor novel-length epic fantasies with a strong romantic element, the following prompts will get your mind working in ways you probably shouldnt try to explain.
32. Your vampire cousin has confessed to you his developing attachment to a shifter woman (feline) who works with him and who recently divorced her cheating husband. You know that the vampire leadership wouldnt tolerate such a relationship, but youve secretly been watching the man who was your boyfriend before you were turned.
33. You wake up from an intense dream and see that your arms have changed to wings with snow-white feathers. Your mother suddenly enters and looks you up and down. Lying son of a ! He told me youd grow up normal.
34. The humans in your world are dying of a disease that hasnt affected the elves, but youre charged with the protection of a man who, according to a prophecy, will unite the warring human kingdoms. He agrees to go with you on a quest to the mountains, and you take shelter in a cave for the night. Someone had created a home there, but theres only one blanket.
35. You finally gave in to your boyfriend, whose latest romantic overtures have been over the top. That night, its a full moon. When you later tell him youre pregnant, his reaction scares you. He insists on going somewhere private to explain why.
36. Youre intensely drawn to someone in your class, and twice now youve looked into his eyes and you swear they were different colors each time cool blue when you first met and a warm green when he looked at you in a way that lit you up inside.
37. Your mating season has come, and theres no escape. Your parents are hoping youll respond well to the attentions of the alpha, but youve secretly been meeting with a forbidden friend from a different pack a friend who has lately become more than that.
38. As a princess, youre expected to marry someone with advantageous connections, but to you, marriage sounds worse than death until a particular prince arrives who reveals himself to be a dragon shifter.
39. You wake up with an irresistible drive to roam the woods in search of something. You run out in your pajamas but soon you no longer need them. Taking to the sky with blue-black feathers, you soar overhead until you see one like you. Hes waiting.
40. All the other women in your family are talented witches, but not you. Your mother and sisters play up your non-magical gifts but you know they pity you, and more than anything you want to surprise them. And one night, during a traumatic experience, you do.
41. Youve come out of the ocean to find a mate, not intending to stay long enough to get attached. But when you meet someone who strongly resembles an old enemy, you extend your stay to seduce and then punish him for his crimes against your clan.
35 Of The Best Short Story Ideas To Grab Your Readers
252 Of The Best Writing Prompts For All Writers
What will your romance story be about?
You know as well as any author that crafting a story your readers will love is not a cake walk.
But you took the time to read some prompts, and now your in-house story generator is churning on some ideas old and new.
You know that blank page doesnt stand a chance against you. Youll throw something on it, play with it for a while, delete what youve written and start over. None of this is wasted effort.
Use these prompts as theyre meant to be used as nudges or launching pads, just to get you started on an idea, even if it changes along the way.
Let it come out of you however it does, and dont worry about making it shine until its fully-formed and ready for editing.
And most of all, have fun with it. The first draft is all about exploring possibilities and just letting the words flow out of you, however ridiculous they sound.
Beautiful things can come from messy places. So, dont be ashamed of your mess.
And let your creativity and courage inspire your next story and everything else you do today.
Click to Grab the FREE Checklist:46 Simple Steps To Write & Publish Your Book
List of The Best Self-Publishing Companies